BRIEF HISTORY ON LOCAL TOWNS ( information extracted from Dept. of Land Information website)
Condingup, located in a wheat and sheep area near the south coast east of Esperance, was declared a townsite in 1963, and takes its name from the nearby Condingup Peak. The distance from Esperance is 68kms.
Dalyup got its name from the Dalyup River on which it is located. The name is Aboriginal, and possibly is the Noongar word for the King Parrot or Hookbill, spelt Djalyup in some word lists. The Dalyup River was discovered by the explorer J S Roe in 1848, and named by him Gage River. The first surveys in the area were carried out in 1875, and the surveyor H S Carey recorded the Aboriginal name of the river as Dalyup. This name took precedence over Roes name. Dalyup is located 30.3 kms West of Esperance.
When it was proposed to construct a railway from Norseman to Esperance around 1910, the decision was made to create a townsite at "Gibson Soak". The railway was not built until the mid 1920s, the Esperance-Salmon Gums section opening in 1925. Gibson Soak was a reliable permanent water source first recorded by surveyor A.W Canning in 1896, and named after Billy Gibson who came across the soak whilst searching for stock. Gibson is located 26.6 kms North of Esperance. Gibson Soak Hotel on the Coolgardie-Esperance Highway is a popular spot with locals and Visitors looking for a good meal and a cold beverage.
Grass Patch townsite is located on the Coolgardie-Esperance Highway, 79 kms from Esperance. A townsite here was proposed in 1910, when the government was planning to build a railway from Esperance to Norseman, and land in the area was being opened up, but it was 15 years before the railway was built. The area was well known as Grass Patch, a nearby farm of this name having been settled around 1896, and renowned for bountiful crops and good grass. However, when the townsite was gazetted in 1923, the local settlers sought a more suitable name, and nominated three names, Warden being the one selected as most suitable. Objections were soon received to this name, and later the same year it was changed to Grass Patch.
Nestled on the tranquil shores of Mary Anne Haven is the small township of Hopetoun. Once a thriving port for the Philips River Goldfields, the town itself has all the facilities that a traveller could need including a motel, hotel, caravan park, alfresco café and the new Southern Ocean Discovery Centre.
The Hopetoun Visitor Centre is open 7 days a week from 8am to 5pm, phone number 08 9838 3258, email email@example.com.
You can also have a look at the recently created Hopetoun website
Hopetoun is surrounded by unspoilt wilderness and pristine white beaches and is the perfect setting for a relaxed all year round holiday. It is also a great area for boating, windsurfing, bathing, fishing and walking in the many quiet beautiful inlets along 200kms of coastline.
The country around Hopetoun includes some of the most spectacular and scenic area on the South Coast and is the eastern gateway to the world renowned Fitzgerald River National Park. If you need further info you can visit the Ravensthorpe & Hopetoun District Tourist Bureau located on Morgan St, Ravensthorpe WA 6346, Ph/Fax +61 8 9838 1277.
Munglinup is located 107 kms West of Esperance. When the district was being opened up for farming in the late 1950s/ early 1960s, the local community sought the declaration of a townsite between Esperance and Ravensthorpe. The survey of lots was carried out in 1961, and the townsite recorded in 1962. Munglinup is a local Aboriginal word, first shown on plans in 1868, and was believed to have been recorded by the Dempster brothers who were the first settlers in the area.
The town of Salmon Gums got its name because a railway between Esperance and Norseman was proposed in 1910, and in 1912 land for a future townsite was set aside here. It was considered a likely watering place for the railway. In 1916 the district surveyor recommended that the townsite be named Salmon Gums, and the name was also selected for the proposed railway station. The railway however, was not built until the mid 1920's, the Esperance to Salmon Gums section opening in 1925. This townsite derives its name from a prominent belt of Salmon Gums which was a landmark for travellers to the Goldfields in the 1890's. In 1910, a surveyor reported a forest "extending NNE for about five miles by about one mile......a belt known as Salmon Gums". The tree is Eucalyptus salmonphloia. It is so named because of its smooth salmon-coloured bark. Salmon Gums is located 106 kms from Esperance on the Coolgardie-Esperance Highway.
The area of Scaddan was originally known as the Thirty Mile, due to its distance from Esperance, but as early as 1914 residents in the area were using the name Scaddan for the place. They sought the declaration of a townsite in that year, but the government deferred such action until after the position of the Esperance-Norseman railway line was fixed. In 1915, the Post Office changed the name from Thirty Mile to Scaddan. Scaddan is named after John Scaddan, Premier of Western Australia from 1911 to 1916. Known as "Happy Jack", Scaddan was born in South Australia in 1876. Scaddan is located 50.4 kms from Esperance on the Coolgardie-Esperance Highway.
Ravensthorpe enjoys a temperate Mediterranean climate with beautiful sunny winter days and cool summer nights. Anciant mountain ranges, rocky hills, rugged river valleys, vast sand plains, estuaries and large inlets provide the area with a wealth of natural beauty.
Making up the eastern half of the Fitzgerald Biosphere Reserve, the Ravensthorpe Shire is approximately two thirds natural bushland. This includes the Fitzgerald River and Frank Hann National Parks, Ravensthorpe Range, Reserves and Vacant Crown Land, all of which are rich in geology, native flora and fauna.
Ravensthorpe town is encircled by the Ravensthorpe Range amid stately Salmon Gums. The rugged range stretches for about 45kms, it has an abundance of plants, wildflowers, scenic spots, lookouts, and mining history.
Download a map of the Esperance region
(PDF, A3 landscape, 596K)